Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

The cookie that started it all


These are the cookies that I created when I was, oh, three (?) in my Grandparent's kitchen. It was a kitchen filled endlessly with every baking essential (and non-essential) that you could possibly imagine. Instead of going to daycare, when my parents worked, I got to go to Grandma and Grandpa care, a luxury that I get to have now that I have my own little one. While on these adventures, I got to explore and play in the kitchen with my Grandma. There was always a project that needed to be baked, and I was there to measure ingredients and operate the mixer.
Ez- bake ovens are for sissies, I had the real thing.
So, here was the beginning. Digging through the cupboards for ingredients and climbing up on the bookshelf filled with cookbooks for the jar of nuts, these are the cookies that emerged.
Butterscotch cashew cookies
2 1/4 cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
1 3/4 sticks (14 Tbs) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
3/4 cup Granulated sugar
1/4 cup Brown sugar, packed
2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 Eggs
8 oz. Butterscotch chips
1 - 1 1/2 cups Salted Cashews, yes, SALTED!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Sift flour and baking soda together in a small bowl, set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a regular bowl, if using a hand mixer) beat butter until light and fluffy, add sugars and continue beating. Add vanilla and eggs, one by one. Slowly add flour mixture while beating. Once the dough has come together add the chips and nuts until just folded into the dough.
Scoop spoonfuls of dough onto parchment lined or silicone mat lined cookie sheets and bake for 12-14 minutes until beautifully browned and puffy.
Let sit on the cookie sheet for about a minute before transferring to a wire rack.
Make sure to eat one before they are completely cooled. These are far too delicious to pass up when the are warm.

*Disclaimer, I take no responsibility for you burning your mouth if you choose to eat them while they are entirely too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment